Tuesday, May 10, 2016

Trigger Warning

Trigger Warning: Short Fictions and Disturbances
Cover retrieved from Goodreads

Trigger Warning: Short Fictions and Disturbances
Neil Gaiman
William Morrow: 2015, 310 pages
Reviewed by Tori Lyons

This collection of short stories includes a number of pieces that have appeared in other publications, as well as one new piece written exclusively for this book.  The stories varied in length – some just a couple pages long and some included multiple chapters.  They ran the gamut from science fiction to fantasy to horror.  From reading the introduction, I understand that some of the pieces are related to other works that Gaiman has written, including American Gods and The Ocean at the End of the Lane.  I haven’t read much Gaiman and was unfamiliar with these previous works, but the short stories worked well even without any background knowledge.  One of my favorite stories in the collection was a Doctor Who story, which was written for the fiftieth anniversary of the series in 2013.  This book made me remember how much I enjoy short story collections, and I would highly recommend it for fans of speculative fiction. 

No comments:

Post a Comment